It’s time for the community to help determine the winner of the Open Infrastructure Summit Shanghai Superuser Awards. The Superuser Editorial Advisory Board will review the nominees and determine the finalists and overall winner after the community has had a chance to review and rate nominees.
Now, it’s your turn.
The Information Management Department of Wuxi Metro is one of five nominees for the Superuser Awards. Review the nomination criteria below, check out the other nominees and rate the nominees before the deadline October 8 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time.
Rate them here!
Who is the nominee?
Information Management Department of Wuxi Metro
How has open infrastructure transformed the organization’s business?
In 2019, Phase II of Wuxi Metro Cloud Platform was accepted. A private cloud platform based on OpenStack was used in both phases. Phase II of Wuxi Metro Cloud Platform project involved the evolution of IaaS to PaaS for the cloud platform and seamless integration of the cloud platform with the business to ensure safe operation and sustainable business development of Wuxi Metro.
Upon the completion of Phase II of Cloud Platform, Wuxi Metro will focus on its own business, and its resources, network and services are transparent and utilized on demand. With the functions provided at the business function layer and various services provided at the service layer, various business needs such as CI/CD process build, big data development and business application development will be realized quickly.
How has the organization participated in or contributed to an open source project?
In order to acquire IT resources on demand and improve overall business efficiency, Wuxi Metro adopted Huayun Rail Traffic Cloud Solution, which is the cloud computing service customized for customers in the rail transit industry. The solution was featured for high reliability, high efficiency, ease of management and low cost, and can help the rail transit industry customers transform from traditional IT to cloud computing, thus improving the information system service in many aspects and help the business development.
What open source technologies does the organization use in its open infrastructure environment?
Cloud resource management: through the support of multiple hypervisors, the cloud resource management can manage and schedule various virtual resources based on KVM, VMware, Xen and Hyper-v.
Heterogeneous resource management: basic resource platform can incorporate the management of existing physical servers and heterogeneous storage in a unified manner. Physical resources can be used as independent resources or integrated into virtualized resource pool. Storage devices that support OpenStack standard interface will be managed as the storage service centrally.
What is the scale of your open infrastructure environment?
The project integrated resources of nearly 100 servers, and a unified computing resource pool was built to provide nearly 1,500 virtual machines. It integrated multiple sets of storage resources, and a unified storage resource pool to provide a service capacity of nearly 180TB.
What kind of operational challenges have you overcome during your experience with open infrastructure?
- Security risk without the disaster recovery
- Privilege confusion due to too many people involved
- Unavoidable single point of failure
- Scattered monitoring without a global view
- Scattered devices which are difficult to manage
- Performance decrease because of the data explosion
- High cost and low utilization
How is this team innovating with open infrastructure?
- Simplified management – Private cloud platform relies on the virtualization technology to implement effective integration of server resources, and private cloud platform involves specific functions, so the data center management difficulty is reduced greatly.
- Effective utilization of resources – Perform the inventory evaluation of existing devices to reuse old devices, migrate all appropriate business systems to the cloud, benefit from efficient resource integration brought by the virtualization and cloud computing, utilize existing resources effectively, and reduce the number of devices.
- High availability ensuring there is no service interruption
- Fast business go-live
- Efficient data protection
- Business resource resilience
- Improve the system security
Each community member can rate the nominees once by October 8 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time.