What’s next for OpenStack? New use cases like edge computing, multi-cloud and deeper collaboration with open source technologies are on the horizon. And it’s clear the Korean OpenStack community is leading the way at their latest event themed “Embracing the Cloud Universe.”
— k (@ujuc) July 13, 2017
Jaesuk Ahn and Seungkyu Ahn kicked off OpenStack Days Korea with a live demo asking Amazon’s Alexa AI to deploy OpenStack in three minutes using containers. Jaesuk and Seungku’s team at SK telecom embody the collaborative, cross-community spirit by actively contributing to the openstack-helm project alongside AT&T and LCOO members. Their goal is to make deploying, managing and upgrading OpenStack services as easy as possible using Kubernetes Helm. The demo also relied on an Alexa agent the team created called Taco (“the ultimate container,” of course) and weavescope to visualize the services as they came online.
Sessions at OpenStack Days Korea focused on integrating and operating open infrastructure technologies–including official OpenStack projects, as well as related projects like Ceph or Kubernetes–which reflects the trajectory of the OpenStack Summits and community.
In addition to SK telecom, several users took the stage to share their stories:
- The Korean Advanced Institute of Science & Technology (KAIST) discussed GPU-based, serverless architecture using the emerging Picasso project
- Naver, a massive search and web portal akin to Google in Korea, talked about unifying their infrastructure platform based on OpenStack
- Popular social messaging platform Kakao talked about running OpenStack Trove in production
- Samsung SDS talked about NFV and network performance enhancement with hybrid cloud
- NetMarble, a big gaming company popular for Lineage, talked about their use of Ceph and OpenStack
The community in Korea has provided a great model for global events and collaboration. Many thanks to the key organizers Jeasuk Ahn, Ian Choi, Jungwon Ku, Nalee Jang, Seungkyu Ahn, and Myonghwan Yoo, as well as the users who shared their knowledge.
Find out more about the OpenStack User Group and get involved here.
- What’s the value of contributing to open source? - October 17, 2018
- How one of Sweden’s largest online lenders optimizes for speed - October 11, 2018
- How AI and IoT drive open infrastructure in Taiwan - August 27, 2018