This weekly newsletter originally appeared on the OpenStack Blog and is a way for the community to learn about all the various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please leave a comment.
Call for Proposals: Open Source Ecosystem Design Sessions at the Paris Summit
We’re continuing the Open Source Ecosystem Design Sessions at the OpenStack Summit Paris (Nov 3-7, 2014). It’s an opportunity to foster the projects and communities that don’t fall under the umbrella of the OpenStack Foundation, but are actively being used and developed within the greater ecosystem. We were inspired by everyone who came together to plan the next development cycle on their storage, configuration management, orchestration and networking projects. If you have an open source project that’s related to OpenStack and has a significant community of contributors, we invite you to submit a proposal.
OpenStack Ceilometer and the Gnocchi experiment
Julien Danjou reports on what’s happening within the OpenStack Telemetry program, with a retrospective on Ceilometer and its drawbacks.
Your baby is ugly! Picking which code is required for Commercial Core.
Entertaining post by Rob Hirschfeld about DefCore. “There’s no point in sugar-coating this: selecting API and code sections for core requires making hard choices and saying no. DefCore makes this fair by 1) defining principles for selection, 2) going slooooowly to limit surprises and 3) being transparent in operation.”
Who Are the Most Influential People of OpenStack®?
Fun game by the fun folks at Metacloud. They’re printing and giving away in Paris custom-printed decks of cards that include the most influential people of OpenStack. The best part? The community gets to decide who is featured in the deck!
The Road To Paris 2014 – Deadlines and Resources
During the Paris Summit there will be a working session for the Women of OpenStack to frame up more defined goals and line out a blueprint for the group moving forward. We encourage all women in the community to complete this very short survey to provide input for the group.
- Applications for Travel Support Program are open until August 18th
- Request an invitation letter for VISA
- Reserve hotel rooms
Reports from Previous Events
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: bug management
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: scheduler
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: slots
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: nova-network to Neutron migration
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: the next generation Nova API
- Juno nova mid-cycle meetup summary: conclusion
Security Advisories and Notes
- Persistent XSS in Horizon Host Aggregates interface (CVE-2014-3594)
- Glance store DoS through disk space exhaustion (CVE-2014-5356)
- [OSSN 0022] Nova Networking does not enforce security group rules following a soft reboot of an instance
- Criteria for giving a -1 in a review
- Time to Samba! 🙂
- OpenStack Project Meeting: Summary and full logs.
Ask OpenStack is the go-to destination for OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
- Nova compute stays up (state 🙂 )even after host shutdown
- Why is Tempest test_network_basic_ops pinging an IP with no Neutron port?
- how to update the API Access URLs?
- Help debugging “SSLError at /project/containers/” error.
- Is cinder is the only option to attach Logical volume to an instance?
- Can I get serialized output for any object in swift.
- How to install Ironic in RHEL?