Spotlight On: OpenInfra Software Releases
The OpenInfra Foundation builds communities who write software that runs in production. Over the past month, the OpenInfra community has seen a multitude of software releases come out! A huge thank goes out to all the contributors who have authored the changes that have made up these releases:
- OpenStack’s 26th Release, Zed, highlights include enhanced security features and expanded hardware enablement. In addition, the OpenStack community is responding to user feedback through two new projects, Venus, which delivers log aggregation for large deployments, and Skyline, which promises an improved web UI. The release comes at a time when OpenStack production deployments have reached 40 million cores.
- StarlingX 7.0 introduced new features to further support the low-latency and distributed cloud requirements of edge computing and industrial IoT use cases. The community prioritized improved scalability, enhanced security and stability, and greater flexibility to manage a diverse set of decentralized workloads in the new release.
- Today, the Kata Containers delivered version 3.0.0, providing improved hypervisor support, making Kata Containers more accessible in a wider range of environment configurations. It also added increased compatibility with leading cloud-native technologies, and code updates to support the latest stable Linux Kernel release.
- Zuul 7.0.0 is now available, featuring updates to the MQTT driver and Nodesets. You can read more in the full release notes, including what configuration changes are needed for this release.
The OpenStack, Kata Containers, and StarlingX communities will all be participating at the virtual Project Teams Gathering (PTG), October 17-21. If you would like to help build the next release, register for the PTG and start collaborating!
If you’re looking for a collaborative home for your project with a clear path to success and sustainability like these, the OpenInfra Foundation can help.
OpenInfra Foundation news
- The OpenInfra Summit is heading to Vancouver, June 13-15, 2023.
- Registration and sponsorship are now available for the OpenInfra Summit Vancouver!
- Interested in helping to program the schedule? Apply to be a track chair by October 28
- If you need travel assistance to attend the Summit, apply for the Travel Support Program
- Visa letter wait times are longer than usual – request your visa invitation letter now to ensure you get it in time
- The virtual PTG is taking place October 17-21. Registration is free – sign up now to participate with one of the 45 teams who will be collaborating that week
- Get involved in the local OpenInfra Community! Learn more about upcoming events including OpenInfra Days Turkey (October 11), OpenInfra & Cloud Native Days Korea 2022 (November 1), and Kubernetes Community Days & OpenInfra Days Indonesia 2022 (November 26 & 27).
- Is your organization building an OpenInfra strategy? Set up time with Jimmy McArthur so the OpenInfra Foundation can support your business.
Airship: Elevate your infrastructure
- Running or evaluating Airship? We want to hear from you! Take the brief User Survey to provide the community with feedback.
Kata Containers: The speed of containers, the security of VMs
- Kata Containers 3.0 is here! Head over to the community GitHub page on October 10th to read up on the innovative new updates in Kata 3.0 & try it out for yourself
- Continuing our release celebrations, Confidential Containers have also launched their first release. Confidential Containers 0.1.0 is now available on the project GitHub.
- Cheers to Kata herders who volunteered to participate in the Boston University program. Mentors gather weekly with undergraduate & graduate B.U. students to teach the ins & outs of Kata Containers development.
- OpenDev will be updating the default Ansible version for its Zuul tenants to Ansible 6. See the announcement on the mailing list for more details.
OpenStack: Open source software for creating private and public clouds
- The results are in! The OpenStack Project Team Lead and the Technical Committee elections have concluded and you can see the newly elected members can be seen on the mailing list.
- The Zed release is big news this week, but we want to take a moment to recognize Ilya Etinghof, a community member who recently passed away, by dedicating the release to him.
- As you hopefully know, the PTG is almost here! However, did you know that there are operator + developer focused hours? Check out the ptg schedule to see when they are! The PTG is free to register and we would love your input!
StarlingX: A fully featured cloud for the distributed edge
- The StarlingX election season is approaching and will start on November 1 to (re)elect TSC members and Project and Technical Leads. If you are interested in running for a position, make sure that you get your contributor status before the nomination period starts!
- The StarlingX 7.0 release is now available! Check out the release overview blog post for highlights of the new interesting features and functionality.
- The StarlingX platform is moving to use Debian as the base-layer operating system. Check out the StarlingX blog to learn about what is already available in 7.0 and what to expect moving forward.
Zuul: Stop merging broken code
- Zuul 6.4.0 and 7.0.0 have been released. Support for old versions of Ansible has been removed. A number of deprecated configuration items have also been removed. Please see the release notes for more information.
Hear from the Organizations Supporting the Foundation
Check out the latest job openings from our members!
- Cloud Engineer, Cleura – remote
- Gérante des Partenariats Outreach and Partnerships Manager, VEXXHOST – remote
- Cloud Computing Engineer, European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF)
OpenInfra Members in the news!
Check out the latest news from our members
- Red Hat OpenStack 17 Targets Telco Stability
- OpenStack – The BEST Way to Build Your Own Private Cloud with OpenMetal
- New National GPU Service Goes Live with ARDC
The OpenStack Marketplace!
Are you looking for an OpenStack-hosted private cloud? Check out the private cloud section of the Marketplace with services from our members, that include:
- Canonical’s Managed OpenStack
- China Mobile’s BigCloud
- Cleura Private Cloud
- Inspur InCloud OS
- Nipa – Mekhala Private Cloud
- VEXXHOST Private Cloud
Does your organization want to be included in the Marketplace? Talk to Jimmy McArthur on how to get listed!
Upcoming OpenInfra and Community Events
Looking for local or global events? Check out what OpenInfra community events are coming up! For more information about OpenInfra community events, please contact [email protected]
Questions / feedback / contribute
This newsletter is written and edited by the OpenInfra staff to highlight open infrastructure communities. We want to hear from you! If you have feedback, news or stories that you want to share, reach us through [email protected] . To receive the newsletter, sign up here.
- OpenInfra User Group Sweden, OpenInfra Forum #13 - December 1, 2022
- Inside Open Infrastructure: The Latest from the OpenInfra Foundation - November 16, 2022
- Learnings from Organizing an OpenInfra Meetup! - October 26, 2022