The process is as follows:
- Install Windows Server 2012 R2 / Windows Server 2016 TP3 on a physical computer
- Enable the Hyper-V role, and configure virtual networking to your preference
- Make sure your current user is a member of the Hyper-V administrators group
- Make sure you have a block of "public IP addresses" available for your network
- Download V-Magine (from http://www.cloudbase.it/v-magine/)
- Run V-Magine
- Answer the questions that you are asked
- Go get a coffee (or two)
About an hour later you will have OpenStack on Hyper-V ready to go! Nice and simple. You can now open up the OpenStack website (V-Magine always makes this available on http://10.74.19.3) and login with the username "admin" and the password you provided during installation.
The next thing you will want to do is to get a Windows image that you can deploy in your new OpenStack environment. This is a little more complicated. Here you will need to:
- Download the Windows Server 2012 R2 evaluation cloud image (from http://www.cloudbase.it/windows-cloud-images/)
- Setup a network share – I use PowerShell to do this by running the following commands (substitute paths and names as appropriate): new-smbshare -name CloudBase -path C:CloudBase Set-netfirewallrule -DisplayGroup "File and Printer Sharing" -Enabled True
- Login to the OpenStack controller virtual machine with the username "root" and the password you provided while installing V-Magine.
- Run the following commands inside the virtual machine: source keystonerc_admin mount //192.168.2.36/CloudBase /mnt -o username=benjamin,[email protected] Gunzip -cd /mnt/windows_server_2012_r2_standard_eval_hyperv_20140530.vhdx.gz | glance image-create –property hypervisor_type=hyperv –name "Windows Server 2012 R2 Eval" –container-format bare –disk-format vhd –is-public true
Obviously – replace IP addresses, paths, usernames and passwords with the right ones for your environment.
Superuser is always interested in how-tos and other contributions, please get in touch: [email protected]
Cover Photo by Datmater // CC BY NC
- Congratulations to the 2022 Superuser Awards Winners: OVHcloud, Ant Group - June 7, 2022
- 2022 Superuser Awards Nominee: Inspur - May 4, 2022
- 2022 Superuser Awards Nominee: Ant Group - May 3, 2022